Ontario independent MPP Randy Hillier has been suspended from Twitter on Tuesday after months of speaking out against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and other public health measures. The news comes after Ottawa police recently revealed they were investigating the MPP’s Twitter activity due to comments related to the so-called “Freedom Convoy” protests in the capital city.
In messages to CTV News Toronto, the Lanark-Frontenac-Kingston MPP said the social media platform suspended his account because he “stated the truth.”
“I erred and stated a fact which Twitter found offensive,” he said on Tuesday, adding that his comments were in regards to the court-ordered Pfizer documents released last week about deaths due to vaccination.
In a statement to CTV News Toronto, Twitter Canada confirmed that the account was permanently suspended for “violating our COVID-19 misleading information policy.”
On their website, Twitter states that they suspend accounts that violate their rules, which are meant to ensure “all people can participate in public conversations freely and safely.”
The MPP has faced backlash in the past over his comments and behaviour on social media.
In February, the Ontario legislature passed a motion that Hillier wouldn’t be recognized by the Speaker until he apologized for his conduct on social media.
The MPP has made racist and discriminatory social media statements about federal Transport Minister Omar Alghabra, and also allegedly wrote posts that were insinuating a call to violence.
In addition, while the convoy protests were being dispersed in late February, Hillier reportedly called for his followers on Twitter to “keep calling” emergency phone lines in Ottawa despite police urging people to stop.
In November last year, Hillier also apologized for a post in which he used names and photos of people who had passed away to suggest without evidence that they had died due to COVID-19 vaccination.
Twitter has permanently suspended the account of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), citing “COVID-19 misinformation” as the reason for the ban. The tech monopoly said in a statement that the ban was handed down after “repeat violations” of the policy.
“We permanently suspended the account you referenced (@mtgreenee) for repeated violations of our COVID-19 misinformation policy. We’ve been clear that, per our strike system for this policy, we will permanently suspend accounts for repeated violations of the policy,” a Twitter spokesperson told The Hill in a statement.
In response to the ban, Greene issued a statement on Telegram.
“Maxine Waters can go to the streets and threaten violence on Twitter, Kamala and Ilhan can bail out Black Lives Matter terrorists on Twitter, CNN and the rest of the Democrat Propaganda Media can spread Russia collusion lies, and just yesterday the Chief spokesman for terrorist IRGC can tweet mourning Soleimani, but I get suspended for tweeting VAERS statistics,” wrote Greene. “Twitter is an enemy to America and can’t handle the truth.”
Twitter had routinely suspended Greene, a sitting Congresswoman, multiple times prior to the permanent ban. The tech monopoly first banned Greene as the House of Representatives debated ejecting her from Congress.
Greene was left unable to defend herself from accusations levied against her by radical leftist members of Congress but was then reinstated after Twitter said that banning her was the result of an “error.”
In August, Greene was suspended for saying COVID-19 vaccines had not sufficiently stopped the spread. In July, she was suspended for saying that the virus was less dangerous for those under the age of 65.
I just received this notice: “We can’t complete this request because this link has been identified by Twitter or our partners as potentially harmful.” That was in reference to the report below.
Mask Comissars Thrown Out of Vancouver Restaurant by Pro-Freedom Patrons
Thankfully this is happening more and more around the world. People are FED UP with this crap. WE are responsible for our health concerns NOT THE MEDDLING GOVERNMENT!
Patrons of a restaurant in British Columbia, Canada united to shout down a pair of city health inspectors trying to close the business for allegedly violating COVID-19 guidelines.
The footage, captured on Saturday, shows a woman who runs the Corduroy restaurant in Vancouver holding a small child while telling the inspectors they are “trespassing on her private property.” Despite being asked to leave, one of the health inspectors tells the woman “I disagree” about the claim of trespassing. At this point, nearly every person in the restaurant starts loudly chanting, “Get out! Get out!” at the masked emissaries of the state. When the health inspectors leave due to the chanting, patrons of the establishment go wild with applause.
[Once again the anti-free speech Silicon Valley censors have accommodated the anti-free speech cancel crowd. This misleading article from the poisonous Guardian smears Dr. Duke as “a notorious hate group leader”. He has committed no crime. “Hate group” is a term of abuse used by the minority censors to smear White or Christians who stand up for themselves. The smear identified Dr. Duke as a “former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard”. True — but two thirds of a lifetime ago. Dr. Duke, now nearly 70, left the Klan when he was 23! But the fake news doesn’t provide context. Twitter’s censorship actions now, mre than ever, demonstrate the need to legislatively treat these near monopolies — Twitter, Facebook, You Tube, PayPal as public utilities and prevent them from discriminating against users on the basis of their political, religious, racial or medical views.” — Paul Fromm, Director, Canadian Association for Free Expression.]
Twitter bans white supremacist David Duke after 11 years
The former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard has faced a belated backlash from social media companies
David Duke was banned from Twitter after a final rule violation involving a ‘harmful link’. Photograph: Matt Rourke/APLois Beckett in San Francisco@loisbeckettPublished onFri 31 Jul 2020 23.45 BST
In 1999, the former Ku Klux Klan grand wizard David Duke predicted that the Internet would help give birth to a “coming white revolution”.
The news media did not give him friendly coverage, he wrote on his website, but on the internet, he could reach supporters directly, starting a “chain reaction of racial enlightenment”.
For the next 20 years, Duke, one of the most notorious hate group leaders in the US, was given free rein to spread his white supremacist message on one internet platform after another.
Now, after years of protests and a surge of white supremacist terror attacks around the globe, social media companies are belatedly limiting Duke’s reach. Twitter said on Friday that it had permanently suspended his account, citing “repeated violations of the Twitter Rules on hateful conduct”. YouTube banned his account in June. Facebook banned Duke in 2018, the company said, more than a year after he participated in the violent white supremacist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia.Advertisement
Twitter’s decision to permanently ban Duke came more than a decade after Duke created his account, in 2009, and more than eight years after he started posting regularly, in 2012. He has tweeted tens of thousands of times, often weighing in on national events and sharing white supremacist and antisemitic conspiracies. He had more than 50,000 followers at the time his account was permanently suspended.
Duke, who was a neo-Nazi in college, led a Ku Klux Klan group and later founded an organization called the “National Association for the Advancement of White People”. He was elected to the state legislature in Louisiana in 1989. Two years later, when he ran for governor of Louisiana, he won more than half of the white vote.
Advocacy groups and non-profits that monitor racist extremists have protested for years against Twitter’s decision to allow Duke and other hate group leaders to use their platform for advocacy.
“The muted efforts of giant social media companies to address racial violence and hate crimes perpetrated via their platforms have had terrible consequences,” Henry Fernandez, the senior fellow for anti-hate at the Center for American Progress, said in a statement, citing “white nationalist rhetoric being fueled on social media leading to real-world violence including mass killings in El Paso, Texas; Gilroy, California; and, Christchurch, New Zealand”.
Activists with Change the Terms, a coalition of dozens of civil rights groups and other non-profits, have spent the past two years trying to get tech companies to remove white nationalists from their platforms, including asking Twitter directly to remove Duke’s account, both in “private meetings with Twitter’s leaders” and in public protests, Fernandez said.
“These discussions were initially like banging our head against a brick wall,” he said, but “today is an important step”.
The final violation of Twitter rules by Duke’s account, the one that prompted his suspension from Twitter, was a “harmful link”, the company said. It would not provide more details on the content of the link but noted its policy on suspending accounts for sharing links to dangerous content had been updated in March.
Duke’s final tweet contained a link to an interview he had conducted with a Holocaust denier, BBC News reported.
“David Duke is just a start, but there are still many others,” Keegan Hankes of the Southern Poverty Law Center said in a statement.
Richard Spencer, another white nationalist and one of the organizers of the Charlottesville rally in 2017, is still on Twitter, activists noted.
Seven days in Twitter jail for this. Twitter protects Moslems not Christians from criticism..
We have determined that this account violated the Twitter Rules. Specifically, for:
Violating our rules against hateful conduct.
You may not promote violence against, threaten, or harass other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or serious disease.